High Blood Pressure: key points
- High blood pressure is a major risk factor for death, disease and health problems.
- It is estimated that around a quarter of the population of Scotland aged 16 years and over has raised blood pressure.
- Prevalence increases sharply with age, although the pattern with age differs between men and women. Almost two thirds of those over 75 years have high blood pressure.
- A large proportion of those with high blood pressure do not attend their GP, or attend less frequently than once per year. During 2012/13, approximately 100 out of every 1,000 patients registered with a practice consulted a member of the general practice team at least once because of a high blood pressure.
- The last update of this section was completed in December 2016.
- The next major update is due to be carried out by end December 2017.
Page last updated: 15 December 2016