Scotland and European Health for All (HfA) Database 2012
Following a demand for Scottish data to be included in the World Health Organization's European Health for All (HfA) Database, ScotPHO added Scottish data to a download of the European database and published the first Scotland and European HfA Database in 2006. This was followed by updates in 2007, 2009 and 2012. This 2012 update is based on the January 2012 release of the European HfA Database.
Data are presented in a user-friendly, graphical or tabular form, allowing time trend and international comparisons for:
- 600 health and health-related indicators, with Scottish data available for 501 (84%)
- annual data from 1970 to 2010 where available
- Scotland and the 53 Member States currently in the WHO European Region, including the UK, plus averages such as the European Union.
There are two versions of the Scotland and European HfA Database available here:
Online version As this is slightly simpler to use than the offline version, you may want to use it for an initial quick look to see whether the database is going to provide the information you want. Please note that the online version does not allow graphs or tables to be downloaded.
Please note: If you are using the Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) browser, version 6 or higher is recommended. We have also become aware, though, that the database may not work in the most recent versions of IE (v11+). If you receive an error message when accessing the online version in the newest versions of IE this can be resolved by amending the Compatibility View settings. Go to Settings then Compatibility View settings (click the Settings icon in the top right of the IE browser window). The ScotPHO website domain should appear in the 'Add this address' pop up box (scotpho.org.uk). Click Add then Close. This should resolve the issue. You may also need to disable (untick) the popup blocker. In IE, this setting is found under Settings > Internet options > Privacy tab.
- Offline version (by downloading a compressed 3.4MB .zip file). This is recommended for frequent users of the database, as it may operate faster, and it offers several output options not available online, including the ability to export graphs to Microsoft Word or Powerpoint, and tables to Microsoft Excel, Word or Powerpoint. However, for the offline version you need to be using a PC rather than a Mac computer.
Guidance notes (891KB) (14 pages)* on using both the online and offline version include instructions on downloading the offline .zip file.
Briefing notes (1.23MB) (31 pages)* highlight Scottish trends and comparisons with a selected group of EU countries, focusing mainly on the more robust and epidemiologically important indicators.
Please also read the help notes and definitions provided within the database, as there are important warnings about data quality, comparability and completeness.
To access the main European Health for All Database (which includes UK but not Scottish data), please see the WHO/Europe website.
- The last major update of this section was completed on 20 November 2012.
- The next major update is due to be carried out during 2017.