Infections: key points
- Infectious disease affects all of the Scottish population at some point in their life, from childhood vaccinations to food poisoning.
- Health Protection Scotland (HPS) is the national centre providing support and advice to all those who seek to protect the public from being exposed to hazards which damage their health, and to limit any impact on health when such exposures cannot be avoided.
- HPS considers infectious disease under various subject areas, including:
- blood-borne viruses
- sexually transmitted infections
- gastrointestinal infections and zoonoses
- immunisation and vaccine-preventable diseases
- respiratory infections
- healthcare associated infections
- antimicrobial resistance
- environmental health
- travel health
- The last review of this section was completed in September 2016.
- The next review / update is due to be carried out by end December 2017.
Page last updated: 07 March 2017