Screening: key points
- The underlying concept of screening is that in some circumstances the early detection of risk factors or undiagnosed disease can be associated with health benefits.
- Screening programmes exist in Scotland for women during pregnancy, for newborns, for eligible adults (based on age and gender) for bowel, breast and cervical cancer, abdominal aortic aneurysms and diabetic retinopathy for people with diabetes.
- Data show that inequalities in screening uptake exist in Scotland.
- This section was first published in November 2016.
- The next major update is due to be carried out by December 2017.
Page last updated: 29 November 2016