Prisoners: key points
- Scotland has one of the highest imprisonment rates in Western Europe
- The prison population is at an all time high
- Prisoners are predominately young, male, white and from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Three quarters (73%) of prisoners have an Alcohol Use Disorder, with 36% possibly alcohol dependent
- 73% tested positive for illegal drugs on admission to prison and 17% tested positive on liberation
- 76% of prisoners smoke
- 1 in 5 are estimated to be Hepatitis C positive
- The last major update of this section was completed in January 2015.
- The next major update is due to be carried out by end March 2017.
Page last updated: 08 December 2016