ScotPHO Online Profiles Tool (OPT)
The ScotPHO Online Profiles Tool (OPT) provides access to various public health related indicators grouped in a suite of specialist profiles (listed in the table below). The tool allows:
- interactive functionality
- selection of geographical areas (e.g. NHS Board, local authority, intermediate zone)
- inter-area comparisons using spine charts.
To access the OPT please click on the button below and then select the required profile and geography from the dropdown lists on the OPT home page. The OPT will open in a new browser tab / window.
The profiles are intended to increase understanding of local health issues and to prompt further investigation, rather than to be used as a performance management tool. The information needs to be interpreted within a local framework; an indicator may be higher or lower in one area compared to another, but local knowledge is needed to understand and interpret differences.
The following documents explain how to use the ScotPHO profiles:
- OPT User guide[1.3Mb] and ScotPHO profiles storyboard[3.3Mb],
- A guide to the statistics used within the ScotPHO profiles[328Kb].
Profiles update process
Some indicators are part of more than one profile and data for indicators within a profile can become available at different times, therefore from autumn 2015 the tool is being updated on an indicator-by-indicator basis rather than waiting for the update of the entire profile. The schedule of indicator updates is planned based on the expected data availability and as such can be a subject to change.
The list of available indicators, date of last update and expected next update are available in this timetable (19Kb).
Profiles by Community Planning or Health & Social Care Partnership Locality
Due to a combination of factors the ScotPHO Profiles are not currently published by locality areas as defined by local partnership structures (e.g. Community Planning or Health and Social Care Partnerships). Creation of profiles by these geographies is reliant on the availability of both numerator and denominator data by the required geographical units (usually the 2011 datazones). At present not all required source information is available at this level of granularity. If and when data becomes available, the ScotPHO team will consider how this information can be presented.
In addition to data availability issues, the ScotPHO team must also balance the needs of our profiles users, who may wish obtain indicator data by different small geographical area, against the risk of release of potentially disclosive data. Release of indicators by new geographies, such as partnership localities, can only be permitted once we have established the risks of disclosure through differencing against figures that have already been published.
Profiles supplementary documents
There are a number of additional documents designed to complement the ScotPHO Online Profiles Tool:
- Overview report – providing discussion and summary of the information available in the related profile.
- Technical report - providing in-depth information on the source of each indicator and how it was calculated, as well as any caveats which may apply.
- Interactive storymap – this is an additional feature to the overview report (currently only available for the Health and Wellbeing Profile), which allows the user to drill down to the intermediate zone level data for the key indicators and view on maps, whilst maintaining the context of the report.
- Companion mapping application - is the recommended way to access the deprivation profiles. Mapping application allows the user to identify where each of these area quintiles sit geographically (as well as how they change between each version of the SIMD). The OPT is also accessible from within this application.
These documents are available via the hyperlinks in the table below.
|Profile Type||Overview Report||Technical Report|
Health and Wellbeing Profiles
Re-launched: June 2015
Launched: December 2015
Launched: September 2013
Launched: September 2013
Mental Health Profiles
Launched: November 2015
Older People Profiles (65+, 75+ and 85+)
Launched: August 2014
|Not available||Older People Profiles - Technical Report (189Kb)|
Tobacco Control Profiles
Re-launched: January 2015
|Tobacco Control Profiles - Overview Report (4.5Mb)||Tobacco Control Profiles - Technical Report (172Kb)|
Other profiles and archive
Prior to the development of the ScotPHO Online Profiles Tool, ScotPHO published its profiles as a series of PDF reports and Excel spreadsheets. These included:
- Children and Young People Profiles 2010 - available via the 2010 CHP Profiles - Archivedpage (see "Children & Young People Profile" hyperlinks in table on this page).
- 2010 CHP Profiles - Archived.
- 2008 CHP Profiles - Archived.